Gardening is a process. Much like anything else that is a process, there’ll be down times. At times like those, you want to quit.
If you’ve recently started tending those green growing things, you probably started off excited like most of us. When those green shoots begin to turn brown and remain so despite your best efforts, however, you begin to consider throwing in the trowel.
Don’t. Not yet. Not until you’ve read these 11 quotes:
1. There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments. — Janet Kilburn Phillips
2. Everything that slows us down and forces patience, everything that sets us back into the slow circles of nature, is a help. Gardening is an instrument of grace. — May Sarton
3. Trees and plants always look like the people they live with, somehow. — Zora Neale Hurston
4. Garden as though you will live forever. — William Kent
5. If a tree dies, plant another in its place. — Carl Linnaeus
6. The first supermarket supposedly appeared on the American landscape in 1946. That is not very long ago. Until then, where was all the food? Dear folks, the food was in homes, gardens, local fields, and forests. It was near kitchens, near tables, near bedsides. It was in the pantry, the cellar, the backyard. — Joel Salatin
7. All gardeners know better than other gardeners. — Chinese proverb
8. If you wish to make anything grow, you must understand it, and understand it in a very real sense. ‘Green fingers’ are a fact, and a mystery only to the unpracticed. But green fingers are the extensions of a verdant heart. — Russell Page
9. A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. — Greek proverb
10. The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable living from a small piece of land. — Abraham Lincoln
11. The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies. — Gertrude Jekyll
Meanwhile, don’t feel bad that you feel like quitting. It only means you are still in touch with parts of you that are vulnerable and anxious. It’s a totally human thing. We love humans. They make good clients.
Do you need outside help with your garden? We help people understand, design, plant and maintain gardens. Contact us and let’s get started